Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cookies are easy and delicious. Browning the butter is the key. Prep time includes browning the butter and cooling the butter. Cook time is just the actual baking time.
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 cup total of decorator colored sugar sprinkle or 1⁄8 cup regular white sugar
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Continue cooking, watching closely. It will foam well, then stop and just bubble; keep cooking and swirling butter until it begins to foam for the second time and gets a golden-brown color w/ flecks in it----should take about 5-6 minutes. Immediately remove from heat; place in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, combine browned butter, sugar, egg and vanilla and beat together well. Gradually beat in the flour until well mixed.
- With clean hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls----place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip tines of fork into sugar(s) and flatten cookie tops. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden-brown. Allow to cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
These are a quick, easy, yummy treat! I whipped up a batch in the midst of Thanksgiving prep. They were gone in no time! Thanks
I made this recipe for an ADOPT an Orphaned Tag game in the Game Room...I've never done a 'browned-butter' cookie before, so the approach was unique for me...Once I had the dough all mixed I used a 1 oz. disher to scoop the dough out of the bowl and onto the cookie sheet (for larger cookies)...I then took a fork and flattened them down by half (for thicker cookies)... Since they were larger cookies I did not get the yield specified, but instead netted a yield of 18 cookies...They baked lightly golden in the 15 minutes given...I let them cool 10 minutes and then sampled one, it was nice...UPDATE: Took the rest to work for the coffee cart and everyone liked them...Thank you for posting this recipe!