Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a pureed broccoli dish. It didn't sound appetizing to me either, but I tried it anyway and now I love it. The browned butter is so delicious. It adds so much flavor and suits the texture of the puree perfectly. It took me a minute to decide I liked it since I never had broccoli like this before, but boy do I!
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 6 cups chopped pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Trim and peel the broccoli and cut into uniform florets. If using the stem, peel and slice into uniform pieces (slightly smaller than the florets as the stem needs longer to cook).
- Steam or boil the florets until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the butter in a small saucepan over med-high heat until it turn a nice brown color, nutty in color and aroma. Remove from heat.
- Place the broccoli in a food processor and puree with 2 T water until smooth.
- Add the butter (and a little more water if necessary) and puree for a few seconds more.
- Add salt to taste.
- It should be the consistency you like to eat your mashed potatoes I imagine, some people like it thick and chunky, some people like it smooth and velvety.