Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is like eating candy for me. I love to use the thinnest spears I can find. 2 tbsp butter is usually plenty.....but 3 is buttery bliss! ;)
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, washed and tough ends trimmed off
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter (NO margarine!!)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- Cook asparagus in 1" salted boiling water for about 5-7 minutes to crisp-tender, or until desired tenderness is reached. (Or microwave the asparagus to desired doneness.) Drain asparagus and return to hot saucepan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over med-high heat. After about 3 minutes, it should start to foam; stir constantly and add garlic, salt and pepper. Keep stirring. When foaming stops, butter should be browned and kind of "grainy" looking.
- Remove from heat; stir in sugar.
- Pour browned butter mixture over cooked asparagus. Serve.
We love asparagus. I cooked my asparagus in salt and sugar so I did not add that at the end, just the butter and the pepper. We all enjoyed this and it was all eaten. Made for Spring PAC 2011. I just realized I forgot the garlic. Well it was good even without it.