Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This oh-so-good recipe comes from BHG comfort foods, circa 1992. It's rich and creamy and just plain old GOOD!
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine half- and- half, light cream,or milk and brown sugar.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just till brown sugar dissolves.
- Stir about 1 cup of the warm mixture into beaten egg yolks; return all to saucepan.
- Bring to boiling,stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat.
- Boil gently over medium-low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the whipping cream and the vanilla.
- If desired, stir in pecans or or almonds.
- Freeze in a 4-or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Note:freezing time and cooling times aren't included in cooking and preparation times.