Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
Brown sugar makes these cookies soft and moist. Toffee pieces give them crunch, great for giving.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package toffee pieces (11/3 cups)
- Beat butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar,baking powder,baking soda and salt;beat till combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg,milk and almond extract till combined, beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in toffee pieces and remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Shape dough into two 10-inch long rolls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper; chill in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours or till firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch thick slices, Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper,easy clean-up).
- Bake in a 350`oven about 9 minutes or till edges are firm.
- Transfer to wire racks and cool.