Recipe by BB2011
From Vegetarian Times May/June 2010: The secret to success with this lighter version of a brown sugar pound cake is having all the ingredients at room temperature and beating the batter 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Nutrition facts: 425 calories, 5g protein, 15g fat
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 3 chocolate-toffee candy bars (such as Heath, Skor, or Toblerone)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar with electric mixer until smooth in separate bowl. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then beat in coffee and vanilla extract. Add 1/4 cup yogurt, and beat until smooth. Add half of flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, then remaining flour mixture. Beat 2 to 3 minutes, or until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Spread batter in prepared cake pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse milk chocolate-toffee bars in food processor 8 times, or until crushed into bits. (It's ok if some bits are larger than others.) Unmold cake from pan, and set on wire rack. Sprinkle chocolate-toffee bits on top of cake while hot. Cool completely before serving.