Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great gift candy!
Make and share this Brown Sugar Taffy recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Combine brown sugar, syrup, vinegar and salt in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, cover with a lid briefly to get any sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add milk in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Cook to firm ball stage (248°F / 120°C), or until a small amount of mixture is dropped into cold water and forms a ball that holds until pressed. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture onto a buttered marble slab or similar surface. As soon as outside edges cool enough to touch, take a small portion of the candy and start stretching or pulling. Use only the tips of your (greased) fingers. Pull until taffy becomes light in color and is no longer sticky.
- Twist each pulled strip slightly and place on waxed paper. When all the candy is pulled, cut each piece into about 1-inch pieces. Wrap each piece in waxed paper and twist ends. Store in covered container at room temperature.
- Makes about 100 pieces.