Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A simple little recipe for when you get caught without any syrup for your pancakes or even over some ice cream.
- In a medium sauce pan, add brown sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir constantly for about 3 minutes and reduce heat to low.
- Keep stirring until all sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in flavoring.
- Allow to cool before using.
Excellent and so easy to make! I did mine in the microwave, and it worked great. I also decided to decrease the water to 1 cup for a thicker syrup. It thickens when it cools, so at that point it was about the same consistency as regular pancake syrup. I used vanilla and it was really delicious; I doubt I'll buy pancake syrup again!
I have made a lot of syrup in my lifetime and this was the best of all. It had a very good flavor and very easy to make. Will continue to make it.
Made this to go with pancakes and split the recipe to see if maple flavoring or vanilla was better. We enjoyed them both equally. Great inexpensive alternative to maple syrup, and no ukky high fructose corn syrup found in imitation products. By the way, a pound of brown sugar is closer to 2 1/4 cups. Thanks for sharing!