Recipe by seesko
A light and tasty treat from Cooking LIght. The cooking light recipe said that this makes 24 bars. I disagree, I cut my bars big enough for 12. Not as light, but more than a bite.
- 5 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ice water
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Place brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl; mix with hands until combined. Add flour mixture, and mix with hands until combined. Sprinkle dough with 1 1/2 teaspoons ice water; knead dough lightly 4 times or just until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 4. Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; press dough into an 8 x 5–inch rectangle about 3/8-inch thick. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or just until set and edges are golden. Cut shortbread into 24 pieces. Cool completely.