Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
From 101 Cookbooks website. Haven't tried them yet, but thought it best to store the recipe here for safe keeping until I get to them!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (good quality)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional)
- 6 -7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 - racks in the top 1/3 of the oven.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, either by hand or with an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is fluffy and creamy.
- Add the sugar and mix some more, scraping the sides of the bowl once along the way.
- Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla extract, scraping the sides again if needed.
- Being careful not to over-mix, stir in the flour mixture by hand. If the dough is on the dry side stir in the milk as well.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter-top, kneed it once or twice (just so it comes together) and form one large ball.
- Cut the dough into four quarters, then shape each piece into a ball. Flatten each of the four balls into 1/2-inch thick pancakes, and wrap each piece individually in plastic before chilling in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour.
- Roll out the dough thin as can be on a lightly floured surface - wafer thin, about 1/8-inch, and stamp out using cookie cutter (recommended 1 1/2 in fluted round).
- Arrange cookies 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets before sprinkling with a small pinch of salt and sugar.
- Bake for about seven minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet or until the cookie edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.
- When you are ready to assemble the cookies, place the chocolate in a double boiler (or a bowl placed over a bit of simmering water) to melt.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate onto the center of the flat side of one cookie.
- Top with another cookie - matching flat side to flat side. Repeat with the remaining cookies, setting them aside to let the chocolate set.