Burgundy Damsel's Note:
From 101 Cookbooks website. Haven't tried them yet, but thought it best to store the recipe here for safe keeping until I get to them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (good quality)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional)
- 6 -7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350 - racks in the top 1/3 of the oven.
- 2In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- 3In a separate bowl, either by hand or with an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is fluffy and creamy.
- 4Add the sugar and mix some more, scraping the sides of the bowl once along the way.
- 5Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla extract, scraping the sides again if needed.
- 6Being careful not to over-mix, stir in the flour mixture by hand. If the dough is on the dry side stir in the milk as well.
- 7Turn the dough out onto the counter-top, kneed it once or twice (just so it comes together) and form one large ball.
- 8Cut the dough into four quarters, then shape each piece into a ball. Flatten each of the four balls into 1/2-inch thick pancakes, and wrap each piece individually in plastic before chilling in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour.
- 9Roll out the dough thin as can be on a lightly floured surface - wafer thin, about 1/8-inch, and stamp out using cookie cutter (recommended 1 1/2 in fluted round).
- 10Arrange cookies 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets before sprinkling with a small pinch of salt and sugar.
- 11Bake for about seven minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet or until the cookie edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.
- 12When you are ready to assemble the cookies, place the chocolate in a double boiler (or a bowl placed over a bit of simmering water) to melt.
- 13Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate onto the center of the flat side of one cookie.
- 14Top with another cookie - matching flat side to flat side. Repeat with the remaining cookies, setting them aside to let the chocolate set.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Sandwich Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.6
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 238.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 6.2 g