Recipe by Halcyon Eve
***NOTE: I do NOT recommend making this at this time! An attempt to make this myself came out horribly wrong, and I'm certain it wasn't me. I need to do some research and see if I can fix this recipe. When I do, I will correct it and remove this note.**** A delicious pie; the only pie I've ever had where I actually liked the meringue! The filling is a sort of custardy texture that goes very well with the meringue topping. Prep time is estimated.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shells
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and salt; stir in rhubarb. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine egg yolks and lemon juice; stir into rhubarb mixture.
- Turn into unbaked pastry shell. Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° F, continue baking till knife inserted off-center comes out almost clean, about 20 minutes (cover edges with foil if necessary).
- Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar till soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating till stiff peaks form.
- Spread over hot filling, sealing to the edge. Bake at 350° F till meringue is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.