Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Sweet, dense and oh so very good. A true pound cake with the flavor of the deep south. The ultimate comfort food! Cooking time is baking time.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream butter and slowly add sugar to the soft butter.
- Beat, till very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at the time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add to butter alternating with the milk.
- End with the flour mix.
- Fill in prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely; then remove from pan.
- Tip: At this stage, you might want to wrap the cake in plastic wrap and let it rest for a day, as this will make it moister.
- For the sauce, combine cream, butter, sugar, corn syrup and rum in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Cover and continue to boil for 1 minute to wash down the sugar crystals from the side.
- Wash the sides with a wet brush to clear off all sugar.
- Uncover and boil for 3-4 minutes without stirring.
- Cool lightly and drizzle over cake.
I would like to add a box of vanilla pudding to this rum cake, what would I need to add or take away to balance out this pound cake?
Yummy! I made this yesterday. I made a half recipe and cooked it in a loaf pan. It took about 1 hour and 20 minutes to bake. It is flavorful and moist. DH loves the rum glaze, too. Thanks for a good recipe!