Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old recipe--one of my Grandma's. I thought I would put it on Zaar for other people to enjoy, and to make sure I don't lose it.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (1 lb) box light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
BROWN SUGAR GLAZE
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat shortening,butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addtion.
- Combine flour,salt,and baking powder; add alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in flavoring. Pour batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt pan.
- Bake at 300 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack. Pour warm glaze over cake. Let cake stand 30 minutes or until glaze is firm.
- BROWN SUGAR GLAZE:.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar, and cook 1 minute.
- Add milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla; whisk until creamy. Remove from heat, and pour immediately over cooled cake.
FloridaGrl and all: This is not an old recipe of her Grandmas. It came off a protective cover for Southern Living Magazine several years ago. I know because I have it in my cookbook. Please do not claim others recipes for your own. BTW: It is very good. I wouldnt expect otherwise from Southern Living.