Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Caution; this is very rich! But so worth it...
- 2 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (on the stove, and let it brown a bit)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 325. Have pie crust ready in dish.
- Mix brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, milk and salt until smooth.
- Slowly stream in butter while beating.
- Pour into pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (until golden and puffed).
- Cool on wire rack before cutting.
Excellent recipes. Most recipes for brown sugar pie I've found before turn out a soupy mess. The lower heat and longer cooking time for this recipe works well. I usually have to cook it a little longer than an hour but just keep an eye on it.
I am re-reviewing this recipe. The first time I made it I ended up with a soupy mess, which was a month ago, and it's been bugging me ever since. I am happy to report that I am the one that made the mistake, because when made properly this pie is fantastic. I think I added too few eggs last time. This pie is rich and sweet and just wonderful and deserves five stars.