Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I haven't tried this recipe yet but hope to soon!
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use paper liners.
- Mix oats, flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in another bowl. When smooth, whisk in milk, melted butter and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and fold in just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scoop into mufifn cups. Bake 15 to 25 minutes or until springy to the touch in the center.
These made exactly 12 muffins and the baking time was right on. The only comments I got were that they were good but a little crumbly. I used white flour and added in 1/2 cup wheat bran as I was out of whole wheat flour. That substitution may have contributed to the crumbliness. My only real suggestion would be to add cinnamon or a combination of spices for added flavor. Made for Switzerland Dessert Challenge during ZWT 7.
The selling feature on making these muffins was reviewers noting they weren't very sweet. Which is a plus in my book. I listened to the one reviewer who added extra oatmeal and whole wheat flour to eliminate the plain flour, and did that. I also added a heaping teaspoon of allspice, and some unsalted but roasted sunflower seeds for crunch. I removed just a little brown sugar and substituted real maple syrup for it. 15 minutes of baking appears to be best; mine were unfortunately baking for 20. Flavor was very good, internal texture decent. And yes, thankfully NOT too sweet!
These are good muffins, although I would prefer them to be a bit sweeter. Luckily, I took another's reviewers suggestion and sprinkled a brown sugar/cinnamon combo that helped a bit. They do have a good flavor, though, and it's nice having a recipe that uses staple pantry ingredients. The best part is that my 2-yr-old and 4-yr-old both ate them up!