Recipe by TeksGlutes
I found this on copykat.com I haven't tried it yet. Storing it here for safe keeping.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar (I use dark brown)
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 reserved egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In pie shell, stir in with your fingers the 4 egg yolks.
- Pour the evaporated milk over the yolks.
- Stir in, with your fingers, the vanilla. In a seperate bowl, mix the brown sugar with the flour and salt, and sprinkle it into the yolk/milk mixture. Do not stir!
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until the custard is done (sometimes takes longer than 1 hour). When almost done, beat the reserved egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat until glossy and all sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot pie, sealing to the edges and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden.