Recipe by Aroostook
Finally found my Mom's recipe! She would make this for my brother's birthday every year. This is one of the sweetest richest cakes you will ever find. One piece will satisfy any sweet tooth!
Brown Sugar Layer Cake
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 lb dates
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites (room temp.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown Sugar Layer Cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and lightly flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- Bake for about 24-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for about 5 minutes before turning out unto rack.
- Let set until completely cooled.
- You will want four layers of cake so slice each cake in half using sewing thread or knife.
- Date Filling.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture is thick (about 15 mins).
- Cool before using.
- Boiled Frosting.
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water.
- Beat with a rotary beater or hand-held electric mixer until mixture holds its shape (about 7 minutes).
- Start layering the cake.
- You should have added three layers of this filling to the cut and cooled cake.
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- This cake is best served within a few hours.
- Refrigerate if not using this within a few hours.