Be careful not to overmix the ice cream when swirling in the caramel sauce. Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon very finely ground black pepper
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream (divided)
- ice water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 24 fresh black figs or 24 purple mission figs, stemmed
- 1In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla bean and scrapings, and pepper.
- 2Scald the milk, cover, and remove from heat.
- 3Let steep for 30 minutes.
- 4Combine the egg yolks and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- 5Beat at medium high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, return the milk to a simmer.
- 7Remove the vanilla bean.
- 8Add half the milk to egg yolk mixture, and whisk until blended.
- 9Stir into remaining milk, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
- 10Remove from heat, and immediately stir in 2 cups cream.
- 11Pass mixture through a strainer into a medium bowl set over a large bowl of ice water.
- 12Allow to chill.
- 13Meanwhile, dissolve the granulated sugar in 1 cup of water in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- 14Set over high heat, wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush, and cook, without stirring, until an amber caramel forms, 8 to 10 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- 17Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 8 figs.
- 18Let stand about 15 minutes while the mixture cools and figs soften.
- 19Remove from heat, and chill.
- 20Puree caramel mixture in a blender or food processor, and set aside.
- 21Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 22Fold 1 cup of chilled caramel sauce into frozen ice cream, until large swirls of caramel form.
- 23Transfer to a plastic container, and freeze for at least 2 hours to harden.
- 24Cut remaining 16 figs in half lengthwise.
- 25Combine remaining caramel sauce and figs in a saucepan.
- 26Heat over medium heat just until figs are warm, 3 to 5 minutes, and serve warm over the ice cream.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Ice Cream With Fresh Fig Caramel Swirl
Serving Size: 1 (3207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2891.4
- Calories from Fat 1240
- Total Fat 137.8 g
- Saturated Fat 79.9 g
- Cholesterol 1271.1 mg
- Sodium 280.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 408.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 381.6 g
- Protein 29.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: