Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Be careful not to overmix the ice cream when swirling in the caramel sauce. Living Magazine.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon very finely ground black pepper
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream (divided)
- ice water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 24 fresh black figs or 24 purple mission figs, stemmed
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla bean and scrapings, and pepper.
- Scald the milk, cover, and remove from heat.
- Let steep for 30 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolks and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat at medium high speed until very thick and pale yellow, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, return the milk to a simmer.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Add half the milk to egg yolk mixture, and whisk until blended.
- Stir into remaining milk, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon.
- Remove from heat, and immediately stir in 2 cups cream.
- Pass mixture through a strainer into a medium bowl set over a large bowl of ice water.
- Allow to chill.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the granulated sugar in 1 cup of water in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Set over high heat, wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush, and cook, without stirring, until an amber caramel forms, 8 to 10 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 8 figs.
- Let stand about 15 minutes while the mixture cools and figs soften.
- Remove from heat, and chill.
- Puree caramel mixture in a blender or food processor, and set aside.
- Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Fold 1 cup of chilled caramel sauce into frozen ice cream, until large swirls of caramel form.
- Transfer to a plastic container, and freeze for at least 2 hours to harden.
- Cut remaining 16 figs in half lengthwise.
- Combine remaining caramel sauce and figs in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat just until figs are warm, 3 to 5 minutes, and serve warm over the ice cream.