Prep 22 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like the taste of caramel/butterscotch, you'll love this ice cream. Time for ice cream maker is not included.
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 473.18 ml whipping cream
- 295.73 ml packed light brown sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- Combine milk and cream in medium saucepan.
- Bring just to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Place sugar in large saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar melts (some soft lumps will remain) and is deep brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir the sugar continuously while it melts.
- Whisk in hot milk mixture.
- Stir over low heat until caramel bits melt, about 5 minutes (mixture may look curdled).
- Whisk yolks in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in brown sugar mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5-7 minutes (do not boil).
- Mix in vanilla.
- Puree custard in batches in blender until very smooth.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Transfer to container; cover and freeze until firm.
Wonderful! Rich, creamy and smooth, you couldn't ask for much more in a homemade ice cream : ) This is so flavorful, this ice cream does not require a sauce, but if you are daring enough, you might want to try a little chocolate sauce over this ; ) Love it, Evely/athens!