1 hr 18 mins
From the blog Raspberry Eggplant
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
Blackberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream Ingredients
- 2Heat an oven to 350°F Line 8 wells of a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- 3Put the hazelnuts and sugar into the bowl of a mini chopper and pulse until the nuts are ground – you want some texture so do not grind them too finely. Evenly distribute the ground nuts between the lined wells of the pan and set the pan aside.
- 4In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- 5In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and light brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and mix until combined.
- 6Add half of the flour mixture, all of the yogurt mixture, and then the remaining flour, mixing on medium speed after each addition until just combined.
- 7Distribute the batter between the cups. Bake until lightly golden around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean, 16-18 minutes.
- 9Slice 4 berries in half lengthwise and set them aside.
- 10Puree the remaining berries along with the sugar. Strain the blackberry puree through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan. Gently simmer the puree over medium-low heat until it is thick and reduced to about 2 tablespoons; this will take 10-12 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- 11Put the sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a standing mixer. Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan and set the mixer bowl on top of the pan. Whisk the egg white mixture until it is 130 F – the mixture will turn thick and white, and this should take about 3 minutes.
- 12Transfer the bowl to a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip the egg white mixture on high speed until it is cool, thick, and glossy, about 7 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-high and add the butter a few pieces at a time, making sure they are fully incorporated before the next addition. After all the butter has been added, continue beating the frosting until it comes together – this will take a minute or two.
- 13Add the reduced blackberry puree (or jam) and mix to combine.
- 14Frost the cupcakes and top each with a berry half.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Hazelnut Cupcakes With Blackberry Buttercream
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.8
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 157.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 24.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g