My Private Note
pound o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white sugar, Granulated
- 1 cup light brown sugar, Firm Pack
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (Whipping)
- 3 tablespoons molasses (This is to taste. The original recipe called for 4 Tbls of Molasses)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, 2 Sqs
- 4 tablespoons butter, 1/2 stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup nuts, Chopped (optional)
- 2Prewarm the thermometer in hot water; use a 2-quart saucepan; butter the upper sides (inside) of the saucepan; measure all ingredients except the vanilla and optionals, and dump into the saucepan.
- 3Grease and if necessary, line a 5 X 10-inch pan.
- 4Fill glass with ice cubes and water and the sink with 1/2 inch of cold water.
- 5Dissolve the sugar, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, over low heat until the butter melts, the gritty sounds cease, and the spoon glides smoothly over the bottom of the pan.
- 6Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- 7Boil, after washing down any crystals that may have formed, with a pastry brush dipped in hot water from the thermometer bath, using as little water as possible.
- 8Introduce the prewarmed thermometer.
- 9Reduce the heat while keeping the fudge at a boil.
- 10Stir no more than necessary.
- 11Test the fudge mixture in the ice-cold water when the mixture thickens and bubbles become noisy.
- 12Ball, formed in ice water, should hold its shape until the heat from your had begins to flatten it and should be al dente ~- slightly chewy -- between 230 and 240 (110 and 115.5 degrees C.).
- 13Because of the molasses and brown sugar, it can ball at a lower temperature than some other fudges.
- 14Shock by placing the saucepan in the cold water in the sink.
- 15Seed by adding, without stirring, the vanilla.
- 16Then allow to cool.
- 17Stir when luke warm and "skin" forms on the top (110 degrees F./43.5 degrees C.).
- 18Return the thermometer to its hot water bath to soak clean.
- 19Stir the fudge thoroughly but not vigorously by hand, with an electric mixer, or with a food processor.
- 20Pause frequently to allow the fudge to react.
- 21Watch for the fudge to thicken, lose its sheen, and become lighter in color or streaked with lighter shade, give off some heat, suddenly stiffen.
- 22If mixing by had, the fudge will "snap" with each stroke; by mixer, mixer waves will become very distinct, by food processor, fudge will flow sluggishly back to the center when the processor is stopped.
- 23Add the optionals (1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts (walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts (filberts)) before the fudge totally candies.
- 24Pour, score, and store when cool in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
- 25Recipe is easily doubled and can be frozen.
- 27HONEY BROWN SUGAR FUDGE: In Step 1, eleminate the unsweetened chocolate and replace the molasses with 1/4 cup of honey.
- 28The honey causes the fudge to ball at a higher temperature.
- 29CHOCOLATE HONEY BROWN SUGAR FUDGE: In Step 1, replace the heavy cream with light cream or evaporated milk and replace the molasses with 1/4 cup of honey.
- 30ORANGE BROWN SUGAR FUDGE: In Step 1, eleminate molasses, chocolate but add 1 Tbl corn syrup.
- 31In Step 6, add 1 Tbl grated orange zest, plus if you can get it, 1 tsp of pure orange extract.
- 32PEANUT BUTTER BROWN SUGAR FUDGE: In Step 1, eliminate the molasses and chocolate, replace the heavy cream with 1/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter.
- 33To intensify the peanut butter flavor, add 1/3 of a cup of salted peanuts in Step 9.
- 34PRALINE BROWN SUGAR FUDGE: In Step 1, eliminating the molasses is optional -- you'ss get a more Southern praline with it, a milder one without it--or compromise and use only 1 Tbls.
- 35Eliminate the chocolate.
- 36In Step 3, when the mixture begins to thicken, add 1 1/2 cups of pecan halves slowly so as not to break the boil or cool the mixture too quickly.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Fudge (Penuche)
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.9
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.5 mg
- Sodium 82.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 74.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g