Recipe by Old widow
I found this a few years a go on another cooking site and have been making it for christmas ever since. It reminds me of my Grandmothers butterscotch frosting recipe. I have made it without the nuts but I think it is better with them in. Cooking time includes cooling time.
Top Review by John W Wenzelburger
My wife who is the expert says this is the best fudge ever.
I used just regular full fat milk not condensed and one cup of dark one cup of light brown sugar.
seamed to work just fine unlike a lot of other fudge recipes. I liked that you could adjust the texture and thickness with the powdered sugar at the end.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan, add brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk, cook, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to stir, allow to come to soft ball stage and remove form heat.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar with electric beaters until mixture reaches a fudge-like consistency, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces.