- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pecan halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill dough; make into balls.
- Dip each ball into white sugar and place on greased cookie sheet, sugar side up.
- Optional: place a pecan half on each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10- 12 minutes.
- If they are underbaked, they are chewy.
- If they are baked longer, they are nice and crisp.