Recipe by LDSMom128
I saw these be made on America's Test Kitchen. I've made them now several times and are so good and so simple to make. I like to make them especially when I am out of chocolate chips and it's a nice change from that. The recipe calls for dark brown sugar, which I'm adding, but I tend to buy the light brown sugar and they still taste fine with it if that's all you buy too. I'm sure the dark brown sugar will have more of a butterscotch taste. Also, I like to make smaller cookies since I have small kids, and it comes up to about 4-5 dozen. When the cookies were made on the show, they made pretty big cookies and made 2 dozen.
Top Review by JaneEyre1
This is the most delicious cookies in the world! I saw it on T.V but couldn't get the recipe from the Test Kitchen site, so glad I found it here. Love, Love, love the smell of browned butter and brown sugar, almost ate that and missed out on the real cookies!
- 236.59 ml butter, divided into 1 tbsp cubes
- 314.66 ml dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, Plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml sugar, for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small sauce pan, divide 10 of the cubed butter pieces and melt and brown the butter until it becomes very dark. It should take about 5-7 minutes. Be careful not to burn it.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, place the rest of the cubed butter. When the browned butter is ready, add to the cubed butter to the bowl. Allow it all to cool for a couple of minutes.
- While it's cooling, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Mix the butter mixture with the brown sugar with a wire whisk until all is incorperated. Add the egg and egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in in the flour and mix well.
- Roll the dough into balls and roll them into the 1/3 cup of sugar. Bake on a cookie sheet at 375* for 9-11 minutes. I usually bake at 10 and they're perfect for my oven.
- Remove the baked cookies from the baking sheet and cool on a cooling rack.