1/1 Photo of Brown Sugar Cookies
These are a great sugar cookie with a great twist! Soft and chewy and sweet, these cookies have a great crackly finish and a gooey center--you won't be able to keep your hands out of the cookie jar!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 10 tablespoons butter and melt. Continue to cook, stirring constantly with a spatula till butter browns, about 4 minutes. Watch carefully so butter does not burn.
- 2Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to medium mixing bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir to melt; let sit for 15 minutes to cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in the middle. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 4In a shallow dish, combine granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; set aside.
- 5Whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- 6Add remaining 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; mix well (till no lumps remain). Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix till fully incorporated.
- 7Add flour mixture and mix till just combined, about a minute.
- 8Form dough into balls, about 3/4 inch in diameter (about 1 tablespoon each). Roll balls in reserved sugar mixture, coating well. Place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart (they will spread a bit when baked).
- 9Bake one sheet at a time, till cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have just begun to set, about 12 minutes. Cookies will look underbaked. Do not overbake.
- 10Remove cookies from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 68.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g