Recipe by velorutionista
These are a great sugar cookie with a great twist! Soft and chewy and sweet, these cookies have a great crackly finish and a gooey center--you won't be able to keep your hands out of the cookie jar!
- 7⁄8 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 10 tablespoons butter and melt. Continue to cook, stirring constantly with a spatula till butter browns, about 4 minutes. Watch carefully so butter does not burn.
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to medium mixing bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir to melt; let sit for 15 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in the middle. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, combine granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- Add remaining 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar and salt to bowl with cooled butter; mix well (till no lumps remain). Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix till fully incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and mix till just combined, about a minute.
- Form dough into balls, about 3/4 inch in diameter (about 1 tablespoon each). Roll balls in reserved sugar mixture, coating well. Place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart (they will spread a bit when baked).
- Bake one sheet at a time, till cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have just begun to set, about 12 minutes. Cookies will look underbaked. Do not overbake.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature.