Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is based on Beelz's Cook Brown Sugar Chili...it was so delicious and I made some changes so I wanted to see the nutritional info. This is a yummy way to have chili!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 -2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 hot pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces water
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Stir brown sugar and mustard into meat.
- Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover. Cook on high 6-8 hours or on low 2-4 hours. Stir several times during cooking, if possible.
WOW ~ this is SO DELICIOUS!! I've never made chili with brown sugar before, but I'll definitely be making this one again and again. I almost made this as written ~ I did not include the carrots and I only used 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. I had no hot peppers, so I used a can or Rotel with green chilis in place of that and the 'regular' tomatoes. This chili has a wonderful sweet flavor with a hint of heat. The mustard addition reminds me (somewhat) of the flavor of my mom's baked bean recipe. Overall, an unusual but FABULOUS chili. DH wants me to make it again, with the full measure of red pepper flakes ~ I'll try that, but he'll get his own pot! Thanks Chef, made for MY 3 CHEFS, November 2009 :)