Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Southern Living. Creme Anglaise needs to chill for 4 hours.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) French bread, loaf cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 3⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- cinnamon stick
- Whisk together egg whites and egg in a medium bowl until blended. Whisk in reduced-fat milk and next 7 ingredients.
- Arrange bread cubes in an 8-inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread. Sprinkle evenly with 4 teaspoons brown sugar, butter, and almonds. Press down gently on bread cubes, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with 2 tablespoons chilled Crème Anglaise per serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Creme Anglaise:.
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles and steam appear (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Whisk together sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl until blended. Gradually add heated milk to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon. Pour mixture into a bowl. Stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of mixture, and chill at least 4 hours. (Mixture will thicken slightly as it cools.) Stir in bourbon before serving.
Enjoyed this version of bread pudding. Nice knowing it`s slightly lower in fat. I used 4 cups bread cubes for it doesn`t state how much to use.And upped the cinnamon!