Brown Sugar Bread Pudding With Creme Anglaise
- Whisk together egg whites and egg in a medium bowl until blended. Whisk in reduced-fat milk and next 7 ingredients.
- Arrange bread cubes in an 8-inch square pan coated with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread. Sprinkle evenly with 4 teaspoons brown sugar, butter, and almonds. Press down gently on bread cubes, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with 2 tablespoons chilled Crème Anglaise per serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Creme Anglaise:.
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles and steam appear (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Whisk together sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl until blended. Gradually add heated milk to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon. Pour mixture into a bowl. Stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of mixture, and chill at least 4 hours. (Mixture will thicken slightly as it cools.) Stir in bourbon before serving.