Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
Simple simple simple ...=)
- 2 large egg whites (room temp.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water.
- Beat with a rotary beater or hand-held electric mixer until mixture holds its shape (about 7 minutes).
- Spread while still warm over cooled cake.
I have never made a boiled frosting before, and now I don't why I waited so long to try it. This recipe was very easy to make and the frosting had the texture of marshmallow cream. It was nice and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness. I used it to frost Easy Pineapple Cake #190978. This recipe is going straight into my keeper file. Thanks for sharing.
A brown sugar version of 7-minute (or as we called it growing up, Marshmallow) frosting. Delicious!!! If you like brown sugar, try this to go on top of your spice cake, pumpkin cake, walnut cake, etc. I does make quite a bit - plenty for icing a layer cake. And the flavor is carmely delicious.