Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy, yummy, individual coffee cakes from Sunset magazine.
Make and share this Brown Sugar-Banana Coffee Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- To make streusel mixture, in a food processor or a bowl, whirl or mix 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut 1/4 cup cold butter into chunks and add to bowl; pulse mixture or cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. (Note: to save time in the morning when you are making these, you could do the streusel up to a few days ahead, and store in a zipped baggy in the refrigerator).
- In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter and remaining 1 cup brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, until well blended. Beat in mashed bananas.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir into banana mixture. Gently fold in sour cream until well blended.
- Grease and flour muffin pans: either a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan, or 18 regular muffin cups.
- Divide batter equally among the 6 jumbo (1-cup capacity) or 18 regular (1/3-cup capacity) pans, filling each halfway. Sprinkle streusel evenly over tops of cakes (crumble the streusel first if it sticks together).
- Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until streusel is browned and a wooden skewer inserted into the center of a cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, 18 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in cups, then invert pan to remove. Serve warm or let cool completely.