Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a delicious recipe from the cookbook "Eating For IBS" by Heather Van Vorous. Not only is it the best banana bread I've ever tasted, it's low fat and very safe for people with IBS! If eggs aren't a problem for you feel free to substitute 3 eggs for the 6 egg whites. Please note that the bananas have to be super-ripe for this recipe. IF THEY'RE NOT BLACK, THEY'RE NOT READY! This recipe doubles or triples easily, and extra loaves freeze well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and whisk with a metal whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl blend the egg whites, oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and mashed bananas with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and with a few swift strokes blend by hand until smooth.
- Pour into non-stick loaf pans sprayed with cooking oil and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
Great for nursing mothers who want to avoid cow's milk & dairy! Easy to make...I made 1 with bananas and one with chunky apple sauce as I don't like bananas...everyone loved both; I really enjoyed the one with applesauce. Great with hot tea.