Recipe by Mrs. Doeinck
This is a great side dish and a different take on asparagus. It goes well with turkey and chicken.
Top Review by sandrak61
Made this today for Easter dinner. It was really good! I was afraid it would be too sweet, but it wasn't. All I changed was that I added a little salt and pepper (since I used unsalted butter) and I cooked the asparagus WAY less than the 8 minutes called for. I'll definitely be making this again.
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- orange zest, strips (for garnish) (optional)
- Snap off the thick woody ends of the asparagus spears and discard.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Stir in brown sugar. Cook, stirring continually until brown sugar dissolves.
- Add the asparagus to the brown sugar mixture, turning to coat. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer the asparagus with a slotted spoon to a serving platter, reserving the pan juices in the skillet. Cover asparagus to keep warm.
- Cook reserved pan juices in the skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half. Drizzle over the asparagus. Garnish with orange zest strips, if desired. Serve immediately.