Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from my husband's Great Grandma Folker, a homesteader in Nebraska in the late 1800s.
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tarter and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually sift 1 cup brown sugar over egg whites and beat again until stiff peaks form.
- Sift remaining cup of sugar with flour.
- Fold into egg white mixture.
- Bake in an ungreased tube pan for 45-50 minutes at 350.
This was quite lovely. It was exactly like normal angel food cake except it had a nice caramel-y flavor. It also didn't need any kind of frosting or fruit like normal angel food cakes. Very nice and easy recipe to follow. Thanks for posting it.