1/2 Photos of Brown Sugar and Oatmeal Shortbread
These have a wonderful texture - buttery, melt-in-your-mouth soft, yet a little crunchy. The cornstarch makes this shortbread especially tender, while the addition of oatmeal give it a bit of crunch. Using old-fashioned oats instead of quick-cooking will provide more crunch. Recipe by Elinor Klivans. These can be made ahead and frozen up to 3 months. Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap, then seal in a clean plastic/metal container.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Prepare 9x9x2-inch square or 11x7x2-inch baking tray by lining with parchment or greasing with butter.
- 3Sift flour, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon together onto wax paper or medium bowl; set aside.
- 4Beat butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl, until smooth and fluffy.
- 5Using low speed (if using electric mixer), mix in flour mixture, until dough comes together in big clumps.
- 6Add in oatmeal, mixing just to distribute evenly.
- 7Press dough evenly into prepared tray.
- 8Bake for 25 mins, until top is light-brown.
- 9Remove from oven and immediately cut shortbread into squares (6 rows lengthwise, 4 rows across), cutting through to the bottom.
- 10Cool thoroughly in the pan and remove shortbread from pan using a spatula.
- 11The shortbread will become crisp on the outside as it cool, but remain slightly soft inside.
- 12Store cooled shortbread in an airtight contained for up to 4 days or freeze.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar and Oatmeal Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.8
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 51.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 1.0 g