Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These have a wonderful texture - buttery, melt-in-your-mouth soft, yet a little crunchy. The cornstarch makes this shortbread especially tender, while the addition of oatmeal give it a bit of crunch. Using old-fashioned oats instead of quick-cooking will provide more crunch. Recipe by Elinor Klivans. These can be made ahead and frozen up to 3 months. Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap, then seal in a clean plastic/metal container.
- Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare 9x9x2-inch square or 11x7x2-inch baking tray by lining with parchment or greasing with butter.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon together onto wax paper or medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together in a large bowl, until smooth and fluffy.
- Using low speed (if using electric mixer), mix in flour mixture, until dough comes together in big clumps.
- Add in oatmeal, mixing just to distribute evenly.
- Press dough evenly into prepared tray.
- Bake for 25 mins, until top is light-brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately cut shortbread into squares (6 rows lengthwise, 4 rows across), cutting through to the bottom.
- Cool thoroughly in the pan and remove shortbread from pan using a spatula.
- The shortbread will become crisp on the outside as it cool, but remain slightly soft inside.
- Store cooled shortbread in an airtight contained for up to 4 days or freeze.
So delicious, the flavour is almost maple-like, and the texture is divine (cross between a shortbread and a cookie). I pressed into a 13X8X2 pan and this made them even crisper. I also used dark brown sugar and salted butter (omitting the salt). I will be making this again!
Oooo! These were very good. I loved the crunchiness of the peices from the edge! The only thing I would do different is next time I will not add salt, but just use salted butter instead, as I think it was just a tad bit too salty, but all in all I thought they were great Watermelon! Thanks!
Absolutely Delicious!! Yummy, easy recipe that I would recommend to anyone! I served it at a gathering today, and people were complimenting me left and right :) thanks!