Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Modified from homemade bagels recipe from recipezaar. 2 WW pts.
Make and share this Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Bagels recipe from Food.com.
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture.
- Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if needed, dough should be firm.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
- After rising punch down and divide dough into 12 balls.
- Allow to rest for 4 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
- With your thumb, make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat under water for it to be simmering.
- Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
- Drain and place on greased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with beaten egg white and top with brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixed together.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning.
- Bagels are done when they are golden brown and shiny.
I think this is a good start. When I weighed out 1/2 oz. salt it was 2 t., but I went with it, they were way too salty for my family (of course, we don't eat a ton of salt). I will make these again, but I'll use less salt and more cinnamon in the dough. I made the dough in my breadmaker, I'm not good on my own with getting yeast to work! :) The dough was easy to work with and when I calculated points it came to 2.5 pts. each.
Made exactly as listed, just replaced the sugar with Splenda and the brown sugar with Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. I only got eight bagels, and they were kind of small, but the flavor was good... even if they didn't look too pretty! That's probably solely my fault. Thanks for posting.