Cook1 hr 30 mins
Delicious brown gravy stew. Use other veggies if preferred.
Make and share this Brown Stew recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 453.59 g lean stewing beef
- 14.79 ml dry mustard
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml adobo seasoning
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 396.89 g can low sodium beef broth
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 236.59 ml carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped small (optional)
- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and each cut in 6 pieces
- Mix together in a bowl, dry mustard, cornstarch, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper; add stew beef and stir to coat.
- Spray a large non stick frypan generously with veggie spray and heat to medium. Add stew meat mixture and cook, stirring for 3 or 4 minutes; add beef broth and mix well. Add celery, carrots, onion, drained tomatoes and jalapeño if using. Mix well and bring to simmer; cover and let simmer for 1 hour. Add potato pieces and continue simmering covered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- (You can add the potatoes to the stew meat mixture or boil the potatoes separately and serve the stew over them, or boil and mash them, your choice).
For those who haven't had the incredibly pleasant experience of trying this dish, you are in for a great treat on the day that you decide to make it. First, it's about as easy to make as peanut butter and celery. Second, it's a hearty one-entree meal that is sure to please everyone except for vegetarians. I'm serving it tonight with white cornbread (menu from the Quaker box) and it's a perfect match. Derf, again, you have outdone yourself. I rate this dish right up there with any other beef dish that I have tried. I will go a bit easier on the salt next time but with all those potatoes, the stew stood up quite well to the amount indicated. I prepared the recipe exactly as list except that I lacked a jalapena, so I used a like amount of green bell pepper. Amazing recipe, Derf. You are truly an amazing Master Chef!