Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cooking Light 2005
Make and share this Brown Soda Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flours into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine whole wheat flour and next 6 ingredients (whole wheat flour through salt) in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture; add buttermilk. Stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 5 or 6 times. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, score dough by making 2 lengthwise cuts 1/4 inch deep across the top of the loaf to form an X.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 12 wedges.