Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Bon Appetit, May 1996.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; mix well.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal.
- Stir in enough buttermilk to form soft dough.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is dark brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out onto rack.
- Turn right side up and cool on rack.