Recipe by Sharon123
A healthy and hearty bread you will enjoy! This recipe has earned the goodfibes™ seal indicating it is a good source of fiber! Adapted from Fleischmann's yeast site. There is about an hour rising time.
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
- 1⁄4 cup millet seed
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed (if you like, coarsely grind in food processor)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelopefleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (or light honey)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- melted butter (optional) or margarine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat bran, seeds, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water, oil, molasses, corn syrup, and vinegar until very warm (120* to 130* F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning at short end of each rectangle, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam sides down, in 2 greased 8-1 / 2 x 4- 1 / 2-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375*F for 35 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter, if desired.