Recipe by Julesong
This is a wonderful rice dish, rich with flavor and textures. One of my favorite side dishes!
Top Review by TamaraJo77
Oooh, this was a yummy delicious rice dish. I used long grain brown rice which tasted great with the onion, garlic and pecan. So much better than just plain boring rice. I did like one of the other reviewers and took the left-overs to work the next day for lunch. Very filling. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice or 1 cup short grain brown rice or 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup broken pecans
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Using chicken broth [or water for Vegetarian], cook the rice according to the package directions.
- About 15 minutes before the rice is ready, melt the butter in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute', stirring often, until the onion is very soft and begins to color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and the pecan meats; saute' over medium heat, stirring, until the nuts and onions are golden and the garlic is tender.
- After done cooking, let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes; spoon rice into a bowl, spoon the onions and pecans on top, and fluff with a fork or a chopstick.
- Garnish with the green onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
- This is also good with other types of nut, such as pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts, and also made with a mixture of white and wild rice; sliced mushrooms are also a good addition.