Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful rice dish, rich with flavor and textures. One of my favorite side dishes!
Make and share this Brown Rice With Onions, Garlic, and Pecans recipe from Food.com.
- Using chicken broth [or water for Vegetarian], cook the rice according to the package directions.
- About 15 minutes before the rice is ready, melt the butter in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute', stirring often, until the onion is very soft and begins to color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and the pecan meats; saute' over medium heat, stirring, until the nuts and onions are golden and the garlic is tender.
- After done cooking, let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes; spoon rice into a bowl, spoon the onions and pecans on top, and fluff with a fork or a chopstick.
- Garnish with the green onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
- This is also good with other types of nut, such as pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts, and also made with a mixture of white and wild rice; sliced mushrooms are also a good addition.
Oooh, this was a yummy delicious rice dish. I used long grain brown rice which tasted great with the onion, garlic and pecan. So much better than just plain boring rice. I did like one of the other reviewers and took the left-overs to work the next day for lunch. Very filling. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Excellent rice side dish! I used Uncle Ben's whole grain brown rice (parboiled) and all chicken broth with walnuts. Very nice oniony, nutty flavour, with a hint of garlic. Rather than use as a side dish, on it's own, I stuffed tomatoes with it, then baked the tomatoes. they were all that was needed to go with our grilled chicken. Thanks for sharing a goodie!!
Very rice, smooth-tasting recipe. I used short grain brown rice, and a mix of water and broth (1 cup of each). This made a great side dish, but I also brought this to work with some fruit for a couple days and made a nice lunch out of it.