A Thanksgiving tradition in our family. The vegetables/fruits can be varied in types and amounts depending on what your family likes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups brown rice (if you can get it, Lundberg's brown rice blends are especially nice in this dish)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- mixed vegetables, of your choice cut into small pieces (we like cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas, yellow, red, and orange peppers, and celery)
- golden raisin (regular will work too)
- dried cranberries
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- slivered almonds (optional)
- sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (optional)
- 1Cook rice as directed on package.
- 2While rice is cooking, sauté the chopped onion in the butter until translucent.
- 3Add longer cooking vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and continue to sauté.
- 4Salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Add the green pepper and the quicker cooking vegetables next like broccoli, peas, and other colored peppers.
- 6When all the vegetables are tender, add the raisins, cranberries, and apple, and sauté a little longer.
- 7When the rice is done, mix the rice with the sautéed fruits and veggies and cook together for a little while over low heat.
- 8If desired, mix in almonds and cheese chunks right before serving, letting the cheese chunks melt a bit.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice With Fruits and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 86.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.1 g