Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Thanksgiving tradition in our family. The vegetables/fruits can be varied in types and amounts depending on what your family likes.
- 2 cups brown rice (if you can get it, Lundberg's brown rice blends are especially nice in this dish)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- mixed vegetables, of your choice cut into small pieces (we like cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas, yellow, red, and orange peppers, and celery)
- golden raisin (regular will work too)
- dried cranberries
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- slivered almonds (optional)
- sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (optional)
- Cook rice as directed on package.
- While rice is cooking, sauté the chopped onion in the butter until translucent.
- Add longer cooking vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, celery, and continue to sauté.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the green pepper and the quicker cooking vegetables next like broccoli, peas, and other colored peppers.
- When all the vegetables are tender, add the raisins, cranberries, and apple, and sauté a little longer.
- When the rice is done, mix the rice with the sautéed fruits and veggies and cook together for a little while over low heat.
- If desired, mix in almonds and cheese chunks right before serving, letting the cheese chunks melt a bit.