Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this quite often as a side dish, it is very good.
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium or use chicken broth)
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (or to taste)
- 1 green onions or 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cooked mushroom (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a deep saute pan, on medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in oil or butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the rice, and continue cooking, stirring for 2 minutes, until coated with the olive oil.
- Add in the stock, stirring and scraping the sides of the pan about 35 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, might take longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, cover with a lid; set aside to steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Uncover, and test for doneness.
- If liquid is not absorbed in the rice, and the rice is not tender, return to the stove for a few minutes.
- Then mix in the feta, green onions and the cooked mushrooms (if using); toss gently to mix.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: you may subsitute the vegetable stock for low-sodium chicken stock if desired.
I wish I could have finished this dish. After 1 1/2 hours the rice never cooked. There are no instruction on when to add the lemon juice, but I never got that far.
I had printed the recipe off a while ago so I didn't know who the author was!! Silly me....I was not surprised when I realized it was from Kittencal. The year is not out yet, but this would definately be in my top 10 recipes of the year!!! Take the time....the mushrooms make the dish!!! I probably used 6 large mushrooms (so definitely over 1 cup) and sauteed them in 1 T butter and a good splash of white wine. I also added a good shake of hot sauce! Devine! It turned out creamy....very much like a risotto! Take a bow, Kitten....great posting!!!
We made this last night and served it with "Recipe #355732" and it was fantastic. The only change we made was to double the mushrooms, which we love! Thanks for posting.