Recipe by Pinay0618
Raised in a Filipino household, I never knew there was such a thing as brown rice - brown? REALLY? - until I was married and on my own. I still love jasmine rice - but I really like that chewy, nutty thing going on with brown rice, too. This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated.
Top Review by patsbeads
This was really yummy. I cooked the veggies and then added them to my rice cooker that I had heated up in advance. Then I added the rice, water and broth. It worked great. I added 1/2 more ingredients and I added more corn than the recipe called for. Hubby said he couldn't stop eating it. Cook's Illustrated recipes are always good. Thanks
- 6 ounces andouille sausages, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Cook sausage in Dutch oven over medium heat until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and water; cover and bring to boil. Remove pan from heat, stir in rice and salt. Cover pot with lid and bake rice until tender, 65 to 70 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; uncover and discard foil. Fluff rice with dinner fork, stir in corn and reserved sausage, then replace lid. Let rice stand 5 minutes. Stir in basil and black pepper; serve, passing lemon wedges separately.