Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Feel free to vary the veggies, depending on what you have in the fridge. Can't remember where I got this; it's delicious in the Fall or for a side for Thanksgiving! (Time does not include cooking rice)
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 3.69 ml salt, divided
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped
- 29.58 ml dried cranberries
- 2.46 ml sage
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
- 177.44 ml long grain brown rice, cooked without salt
- 177.44 ml lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut each squash in half crosswise.
- Scoop out and discard seeds and strings. I.
- f necessary, trim bottom for squash to set level, and place on a rimmed baking sheet with cut side up.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 teas. nutmeg.
- Cover with foil and bake squash just until moist and tender about 45- 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- When heated, add onion and garlic, if using, and celery.
- Cook 2 minutes and add carrots.
- Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Add cranberries, sage, thyme, chopped pecans, and 1/2 teas. salt.
- Add cooked brown rice and mix well.
- Remove from heat and fill center of each acorn squash half.
- Return foil over top and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and top each filled squash half with Mozzarella.
- Return uncovered to oven and bake 5 more minutes.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley, to serve.
This is so yummy! A perfect dinner to welcome the fall. I'm vegan so left the cheese off. Didn't have pecans or cranberries so left the cranberries out and used walnuts instead. Still turned out incredibly delicious. Thank you for sharing, will definitely use this whenever winter squash goes on sale! :)