1 hr 15 mins
Caroline Cooks's Note:
Feel free to vary the veggies, depending on what you have in the fridge. Can't remember where I got this; it's delicious in the Fall or for a side for Thanksgiving! (Time does not include cooking rice)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice, cooked without salt
- 3/4 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Cut each squash in half crosswise.
- 3Scoop out and discard seeds and strings. I.
- 4f necessary, trim bottom for squash to set level, and place on a rimmed baking sheet with cut side up.
- 5Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 teas. nutmeg.
- 6Cover with foil and bake squash just until moist and tender about 45- 50 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, in a large skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- 8When heated, add onion and garlic, if using, and celery.
- 9Cook 2 minutes and add carrots.
- 10Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- 11Add cranberries, sage, thyme, chopped pecans, and 1/2 teas. salt.
- 12Add cooked brown rice and mix well.
- 13Remove from heat and fill center of each acorn squash half.
- 14Return foil over top and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- 15Remove and top each filled squash half with Mozzarella.
- 16Return uncovered to oven and bake 5 more minutes.
- 17Top with chopped fresh parsley, to serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice & Veggie-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.4
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 466.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lowfat mozzarella cheese