Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Nutritious veggie packed brown rice side dish
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 3⁄4 cup leek
- 1 small zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper
- Steam brown rice, covered in broth and seasonings for 30 minutes.
- Add diced carrots. Continue covered steaming for 10 more minutes.
- Add chopped celery, peppers and leeks. Continue covered steaming for 5 more minutes.
- Add sliced zucchini squash last 5 minutes of covered steaming.
- Total steaming time: 50 minutes.
- Steaming time for veggies may be lengthened or shortened depending on individual tastes.
- Salt may be added according to individual tastes.
- Use veggie, mushroom broth, or plain water instead of chicken broth, if preferred.
- Add more broth during veggie steaming if needed.
- Sprinkle on 1 T of shredded parm. cheese just before serving, if desired.
- Garnish with cool, fresh quartered tomatoes just before serving.
Just tried this for the first time and it was wonderful! My husband and I have started working out and are watching what we eat ~ I make out lunches every weekend to take to work the following week, and this is fantastic with grilled chicken strips! Will be my brown rice staple for sure! Thank you for the posting!! :)