Recipe by Dancer^
This is one of our favorite soups, we add barley sometime in place of the rice. You could also use millet.
Top Review by Tallie in Pacific NW
great recipe! TY for posting! I made some changes however-portion control being one. I dbld ALL the veggies w/the expection of carrots, added 2 cans of S&W NW White Beans, peeled my potatoes, used all chicken broth, NO H20 here, and kept it @ 7 cups. I didn't hv any garlic, so I used Garlic Powder in place thereof. Fabulous w/sourdough rounds!
- 2 can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1182.95 ml water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 236.59 ml celery
- 473.18 ml new potatoes, with skin
- 236.59 ml zucchini
- 236.59 ml mushroom
- 236.59 ml onion
- 9.85 ml thyme
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 236.59 ml brown rice (or barley to increase fiber)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot combine water, broth, brown rice or barley, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
- Add onion mixture, zucchini and seasoning to the soup.
- Continue to cook on medium-low for another 30 minutes until rice and vegetables are tender.