Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of our favorite soups, we add barley sometime in place of the rice. You could also use millet.
- 2 cans fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups new potatoes, with skin
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 cup onion
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice (or barley to increase fiber)
- In a large pot combine water, broth, brown rice or barley, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
- Add onion mixture, zucchini and seasoning to the soup.
- Continue to cook on medium-low for another 30 minutes until rice and vegetables are tender.
great recipe! TY for posting! I made some changes however-portion control being one. I dbld ALL the veggies w/the expection of carrots, added 2 cans of S&W NW White Beans, peeled my potatoes, used all chicken broth, NO H20 here, and kept it @ 7 cups. I didn't hv any garlic, so I used Garlic Powder in place thereof. Fabulous w/sourdough rounds!
Reminded me of oxtail soup in consistency and even in taste thanks to the celery. The servings are small. Two adults and a toddler polished this one off in one sitting.
I was meant to rate my last post reviews as 4 stars, sorry missed the stars to click on.