Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is total veg comfort food...cheese, nuts, rice, and TONS of good veggies. What's not to love? This takes a little bit of time but it is well worth the effort.
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a 3-quart baking dish combine broth, rice, 1 c onion, soy sauce, butter, and thyme. Cover and bake 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet saute veggies, garlic, and remaining onion in oil until tender. Spoon over rice mixture.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cashews and cheese, serve after cheese melts.
A tasty vegetarian dish loved also by the meat eaters in our family. I roasted off organic onion, carrot, green bean,broccoli & carrot and only used a small sprinkling of cheese.
The leftovers were also enjoyed cold in the next days lunchbox.
This was very good. I added some black beans to the rice after it was cooked so that we could have extra protein as this was the only dish we had. My husband, who isn't much of a fan of brown rice went back for seconds. Will definetly make again. Thanks for posting!
Fantastic!!! I made as directed but decided to leave one half without cheese and one half with cheese. I actually liked it without cheese better. The veggies are absolutely delicious mixed in with the rice. I cooked my veggies for about 15 - 20 min. to get them browned (I like mine done that way). The cashews put this recipe over the top! This makes a lot and I'm glad because I'll be using the leftovers for my lunch! Thank you for a great recipe.